There are so many cars in the UK and sometimes we may take that for granted. Cars are incredible transportation machines that came into global use during the 20th century. Have a read on some of these amazing facts about cars that you’d never have known.
1.One billion cars are currently in use on earth
The population of the world is 7.442 billion (2016) meaning that one in every seven people have a car. Incredible.
2. The average car contains over 30,000 unique parts
And to think we grumble when just one part goes wrong! Cars are even more incredible than we already thought.
3. Volkswagen owns 12 well-known car brands from 7 European countries
These brands include the likes of Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, Skoda, Seat, Audi, Ducati, Scania and MAN and as a result is a dominant player in Western Europe despite some of the scandals VW have encountered throughout the years.
4. Cruise control was invented by a blind person.
Ralph Teetor (August 17, 1890 – February 15, 1982) created the first cruise control system which was a standard feature on all Cadillacs by 1960.
5. One in three cars produced in the world come from China
China produces around 24 million cars a year, taking up a whopping 34% of the worlds production.
6. 75% of cars that Rolls-Royce has ever produced are still on the road today.
Crafted to live a long and rich life these cars really have served their purpose.
7. The odds of dying in a car accident are around 1 in 5,000.
Put that against dying in a plane crash which is one in 11 million – driving is pretty dangerous.
8. In Los Angeles there are more cars than people.
There is no other city more identified with the automobile than Los Angeles.
9. The world’s fastest street legal production car is the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
It has speeds up to 267 mph!
10. 95% of a car’s lifetime is spent parked
Seems pointless owning one now doesn’t it?